Monday, May 20, 2013

CANNES FILM FESTIVAL: Erik Matti's ON THE JOB



I usually don't watch mainstream Filipino, or even Hollywood, films (I speak Japanese & Italian, among others, and I am current with Japanese & Italian films) but I was struck by the trailer of Erik Matti's latest  which is one of the chosen entries in the ongoing Cannes Film Festival. Dubbed by the director as a "maindie" ("mainstream" & "indie" because it was co-produced with the country's biggest movie producer), it suddenly made me actually eager for its local release. I just might be finally watching a film in a local theater after a decade. Yup, that long ago that I've entered one ... strange considering that there was a time when cinemas were my favorite refuge whenever I got too tired listening to my teachers.

I find Cannes Film Festival generally depressing, it loves films catering to lovers of the dark and peripheral in humanity. An outdated concept, I think, which I hope the battered Europeans will learn to shed off as they regain their footing. Still, let's see if it chose a gem with "On The Job".

No comments:

Post a Comment